So I thought I would share some lists that have been rattling around my brain in Finland
THE TOP FIVE BEST THINGS PEOPLE IN FINLAND SAY WHEN THEY HEAR I AM FROM SOUTH AFRICA:
5. Oh wow. How long did it take you to get here?
4. General awe/amazement/wonder
3. Laughter (this was from a Japanese guy who laughs at everything
2. I love Africa. I’ve been to New Zealand. (!??!?!)
1. You are blonde? (to which I answered, “Yes, and I’m white too.”)
THE TOP FIVE THINGS I LEARNT FROM GOING FOR A RUN IN SUB-ZERO TEMPERATURES:
5. Thermal underwear is not enough by itself. You need another layer. That’s why they put the word “under” in the name.
4. Drink something warm before and after you run. Its snowy but the air is dry. Strange but true.
3. If you are the only one running, it’s not because you are a champion and everyone else is lazy. It’s because it’s too cold to run.
2. Cars, people and bicycles drive, cycle, walk on the right hand side of the road here.
1. If you feel numb somewhere, don’t ignore it. Turn around. Go home. Put some warm clothes on. Otherwise you will have an ugly skin reaction to the cold.
REASONS WHY I ALWAYS THOUGHT I PROBABLY SHOULD HAVE BEEN BORN ITALIAN THAT HAVE NOW BEEN MADE MORE CERTAIN NOW THAT I ACTUALLY KNOW SOME ITALIANS:
5. I am always late for things. They are always late for things.
4. I speak with my hands. They speak with their hands.
3. I am a bit loud sometimes. They are loud most of the time.
2. I have blonde hair. Well, they don’t, but four out of five is not bad.
1. I love food. They love food.